Diocese: Diocese of the Midwest
Deanery: Michigan Deanery
3810 Gilbert St
Detroit, Michigan 48210
Blissfield, MI 49228
Ss Peter and Paul Cathedral is the only OCA Orthodox Church located in Downtown Detroit. We are 1 block west of Livernois; 2 block south of Michigan Avenue
From Interstate 94
Get off at Livernois Avenue (Exit 212A); Turn right (heading East) for about .7 of a mile; pass Michigan Avenue to second block (at Traffic Light) Clayton Street; Turn right in first block.
From Interstate 75 (heading northbound)
Get off at Livernois Avenue (Exit 46); Continue on Service Drive - Turn Left at second light - Dragoon Street (heading North); go app .7 of a mile - merging into Livernois (as you pass by Vernor Hwy; another mile to 4th street on left (at Traffic Light) - Clayton Street; Turn Left in first block.
From Interstate 75 (heading southbound)
Get off at Livernois Avenue (Exit 46); Turn Right at first light - Dragoon Street (heading North); go app .7 of a mile - merging into Livernois (as you pass by Vernor Hwy; another mile to 4th street on left (at Traffic Light) - Clayton Street; Turn Left in first block.
Schedule of Services
9:40 Hours; 10:00 Divine Liturgy, followed by Church school and fellowship Hour.
For a complete list of upcoming services, please visit the Calendars dropdown on parish website. Please call/e-mail the Church Office for Updates, Scheduling, or for Any Assistance.
The church was founded in 1907, being the first Orthodox church congregation formally established in the State of Michigan.
From 1907 until 1948 the parish worshipped in the wooden church structure with a parish school building being added in 1912.
The current church building was completed in 1949, which housed a thriving community of hundreds of members. During the “baby boom” era a church school wing was added in 1964 to minister to the large number of young members.
In the year 2000, in recognition that Sts. Peter & Paul parish is the oldest Orthodox church in the State of Michigan, being regarded as the “mother church” among the Orthodox communities in the state, and in light that the faithful members Bishop Job “accepted with joy the new opportunities and challenges of urban ministry”, his Grace, Bishop +JOB (of blessed memory) elevated the parish to the dignity of cathedral status.
Over the last 40 years Sts. Peter & Paul has shared the experience of most inner city churches in Detroit: rapid decline in membership. This was precipitated by the economic woes of the area, generational shifts, and churches relocating to the suburbs where most members reside. Currently, many of our immediate neighbors now experience homelessness, poverty and despair.
Our facilities are home to a Head Start school serving our neighbors during the week. Our parish grounds have a flourishing community garden dedicated to the Saints. The parish graciously offers space in its community center for Orthodox Detroit Outreach ministries to serve the poor in our neighborhood. This provides a wonderful opportunity for many Orthodox Christians in greater Detroit to serve the poor in the inner city of SW Detroit. Over the past four years we have served over 10,000 meals, by the grace of God.
The challenge and high calling of Christ’s Great Commission is for all His disciples. Hundreds of Orthodox Christians and scores of our neighbors, young and old, volunteer at our community center throughout the year. Every week they feed, clothe, comfort and pray with our neighbors in need who come to our church center for help. Sharing in this way together the love of God, we proclaim the Gospel through our actions, witnessing our Faith through the works of mercy. Many volunteers express that they depart each week feeling blessed and sensing that we have truly received more than we have given.
Within our Diocese, parishes in the greater Detroit area are beginning to send “missionaries” to worship and serve with us at Sts. Peter & Paul Cathedral, helping revitalize our inner city presence.
We welcome you to join us as we struggle to remain faithful to our Lord, serving our neighbors as Christ in our midst, and striving to discern His will for our missionary ministry together.
It is our prayer to Almighty God that the vision and hope of many righteous souls who have gone before us might be further realized and fulfilled through our continuing labor of love in the days to come.