Diocese: Diocese of New York and New Jersey
Deanery: New Jersey Deanery
649 Elizabeth St
Perth Amboy, New Jersey 08861
648 Charles St
Perth Amboy, NJ 08861
Brick, NJ 08724
From the New Jersey Turnpike
Take the Turnpike to exit 11. After toll, stay to right and exit for “1,9,440, Woodbridge, the Amboys.” DO NOT GET ON PARKWAY. Stay on 440 east, and exit at New Brunswick Ave. Turn left at the stop. Follow New Brunswick Ave past the hospital and 7-11, under an overpass and into the downtown area. Turn left onto State St. Follow State St [past stores, Polish church, and under an overpass]. Turn left onto Hall Ave and make the first right onto Elizabeth St. The church will be on the left.
From the Garden State Parkway
Take exit 129 (New Jersey Turnpike, Woodbridge, Route 440 East, Perth Amboy, Rt. US 9, & Outerbridge Crossing.) Get off after 2nd Right to Route 440 East. Proceed on Rt. 440 East to last exit before Outerbridge (State St). Take off ramp and proceed on State St toward Perth Amboy to 2nd traffic light (Hall Ave). Turn right, then go one block to Elizabeth St. Church is on left.
From Staten Island
After passing Outerbridge Crossing take 1st exit to Amboy Ave exit toward Rt 440 North and Rt 35 North. Go 0.2 mile and turn Left on Amboy Ave. Go 0.5 mile and turn Left on Hall Ave. Go 0.6 mile and and turn Right on Elizabeth St. Church is on Left
Schedule of Services
Services are celebrated in English and Slavonic.
7:00 PM Vigil (at St. Sergius Chapel).
9:10 AM Hours; 9:30 AM Divine Liturgy, Church School and Fellowship Hour.
7:00 PM Vigil (at St. Sergius Chapel).
Eves of Great Feasts
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
Mornings of Great Feasts
9:30 AM Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts.
Wednesday Mornings in Great Lent
Pleace call Rectory at 732-826-4818 to confirm times of other services, or to arrange Baptisms, Marriages, House Blessings, Memorials, etc.
In 1915 a small group of Russian people arrived from Europe and setted in Perth Amboy, New Jersey. Being faithful Churchgoers in their old country, they were sad in not having a Russian Orthodox Church of their own where now lived. At first, they attended Russian Orthodox Churches in nearby towns but soon tired of going to them.
In August 1915, they resolved to organize a Russian Orthodox Church of their own. A general assembly was convened on August 13, 1915 that unanimously agreed to establish an independent church - St. Spiridon. This was followed by an election of the first Church Committee. A blessing of the opening of the Orthodox parish and the newly-elected first Church Committee was made by His Eminence Archbishop Evdokim.
The first liturgy was celebrated on September 13, 1915 by Fr. Peter Kohanik in a church rented from St. Stanislav Roman Catholic Church. On November 8, 1915, it was resolved to purchase the St.Stanislav Church along with a parcel of land next to this Church, and the Church cemetery. A loan was taken out to cover this purchase and paid within a few years. A Russian Orthodox cross was erected on the steeple on March 15, 1916. In time, St. Spiridon Church was adorned with a beautiful iconostasis and all the ecclesiastical furnishings acquired with voluntary offerings.
A Brotherhood was organized in 1918 followed soon after with a Sisterhood. In 1919, a house next to the Church was purchased to serve as the Church Rectory. An altar sisterhood was founded in 1947. Later, the Church had an “R” Club for Russian Orthodox youths, a Sunday School for children, and a Russian school for adults. Sadly, these organizations have since become extinct. However, a need to have a Sunday School for the parish children led to the reestablishment of one in September 2006.
Throughout the years, St Spiridon Church was presented with many beautiful gifts, many of which are still in use. A number of years ago, the Church walls were decorated with large icons of St Spiridon and other Saints.
Also, from time to time, many improvements have been accomplished. An outdoor Church bulletin was erected on the church grounds listing the liturgical and holiday services; an electronic bell machine with chimes was put in use; the Church and Altar was repainted; four icons were placed upon the ceiling; and new carpeting was installed. Throughout spring and summer, the Church grounds are beautified with an adornment of many flowers.
For many years, St. Spiridon had a well-trained choir of many members who sang the beautiful liturgy music on Sundays and Holidays under the direction of an experienced and talented conductor. The choir at present is small but continues to fulfill the Church with the singing of the Liturgy on Sunday and Holidays as before.
The doors of St. Spiridon are still open and welcomes all to the House of Our Lord.