This Icon appeared in 1103, and was found at Smolensk. The Mother of God is depicted gazing tenderly at the Divine Child, Who reclines in her lap, resting His head on her left arm. Both of her hands rest just below her neck.
The Savior holds an orb in His right hand, the symbol of sovereignty and power. In some icons, however, the orb is in His left hand.
The nine hundredth anniversary of the Smolensk Tenderness Icon's appearance was observed in 2003.