The Pochaev Icon of the Mother of God is in the Pochaev monastery. Two monks settled on the hill where the monastery is now located in the year 1340. One of the monks went to the top of the hill after he had prayed, and suddenly he saw the Theotokos standing on a stone and encircled by flame. He summoned the other monk to behold the marvel. A third witness of the vision was the herdsman Ioann Bosoi. He ran to the hill, and the three of them glorified God. The Most Holy Theotokos left the imprint of Her right foot on the stone where She had stood.
In 1559 Metropolitan Neophytus of Constantinople, on his journey through Volhynia, visited the noblewoman Anna Goiskaya living at the estate of Orlya, not far from Pochaev. As a farewell blessing he left Anna an icon of the Mother of God which he brought from Constantinople. They began to notice a radiance coming from the icon. In 1597 Anna’s brother Philip was healed of an ailment before the eyes of a monk who lived on the hill at Pochaev. She then gave the wonderworking image to the monk. The icon was placed in a church which was built in honor of the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos. A monastery was later established there, and Anna Goiskaya provided a large portion of the money needed for construction.
The following is one of the more famous accounts of help from the Queen of Heaven through her wonderworking Pochaev Icon.
A monk of Pochaev monastery was taken into captivity by the Tatars. Held as a slave, he thought of the Pochaev monastery, its holy things, the divine services, and the church singing. In particular the monk yearned to be in Pochaev for the approaching Feast of the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos. He prayed tearfully to the Mother of God for deliverance from captivity, and suddenly, through the prayers of the Holy Virgin, the walls of the dungeon disappeared, and the monk found himself standing before the walls of the Pochaev monastery.
The Pochaev Icon is also celebrated on Friday of Bright Week and on July 23.