The “Deliverer” Icon of the Mother of God, before being brought to the New Athos Simono-Kananitsk monastery in the Caucasus, was on Mount Athos with a brother of the Russian Saint Panteleimon monastery, Schemamonk Martinian (+ 1884). The pious schemamonk had received this icon from the ascetic Theodoulus. The holy icon was glorified by miracles for many centuries. After praying before this icon the inhabitants of Sparta, Greece were delivered from locusts in 1841.
From the Monastery of Saint Panteleimon, according to the final wishes of Schemamonk Macarius, this icon was given to the New Athos monastery on July 20, 1889, and the festal celebration in its honor was designated as October 17.
When the Feastday in honor of this icon was first celebrated at the Simono-Kananitsk monastery, a storm cast more than a ton of fish ashore at the monastery. On the icon the Most Holy Theotokos holds the Divine Infant in Her left arm, and He blesses with His right hand.