The Vilnius Icon of the Mother of God was painted by the Holy Evangelist Luke. For many years it belonged to the family of the Byzantine emperors in Constantinople. In 1472 Sophia Paleologina, the wife of the Great Prince Ivan III (1462-1505), brought the Icon with her to Moscow. In 1495 the Great Prince blessed his daughter Elena with this icon before giving her in marriage to the Lithuanian king Alexander.
Today's Feast commemorates of the transfer of the Icon from Moscow to Vilnius, Lithuania. Later the holy Icon was placed in the church of Saint John the Forerunner, where Princess Elena was buried. Later, the Icon was transferred to the Holy Trinity monastery in Vilnius.
The Vilna Icon is also commemorated on April 14.